Monday 22 August 2016

Aberdeen Falls: Hiker's Paradise

Ginigathhena Valley from my humble camera phone

After 3 weeks of ‘almost’ budget travels, you guys must be wondering if I ever go on actual budget trips. Here is the answer: Aberdeen Falls was a true budget trip.

Aberdeen falls is a beautiful double waterfall located in Ginigathhena, close to Nawalapitiya. The area is mostly thick tropical forest, with a winding road leading up to Nuwaraeliya. It’s about 4 hours journey by road via Avissawella or you can also take the train to Nawalapitiya and come back down a few km by road. We did it budget style: by bus.

We started from Pettah, Colombo on a Colombo-Hatton air conditioned intercity bus around 7am. It costs between LKR 300-400 per head. You can also take the normal non-A/C buses going to Nawalapitiya or Hatton. Neither are frequent so be there nice and early; the next bus was scheduled to leave Pettah around 10.00am.

Colombo-Aberdeen Falls, Ginigathhena via Google Maps
 I hate long journeys on the road. They make me nauseous. I especially hate long, winding roads with canned air blowing in my face. But let me tell you, I forgot my nausea after the city was past and Sri Lanka flew by my windows.

The views are extraordinary. No matter how many times I go up these hills there is always something more to see. Once we passed Avissawella I started to see something else on the roadside.

Clutching on to the sides of these sheer cliffs are small hut-like structures all advertising one thing: Kitulgala white-water rafting. Yep, that’s right. This is where Sri Lanka’s famous rapids are and all through to Ginigathhena I saw tourists (local & foreign) flock to the various establishments. Sadly, we did not have the time nor the crowd for white-water rafting, but that’s now on my list.
We reached our destination, Aberdeen Falls Resort, around 11.00am, the bus having stopped on the way for tea (we took our own breakfast). The resort proper is a 30-40 min hike down a dirt track into the Ginigathhena valley but there is a small restaurant for wayfarers to stop for meals near the main road. If you’re feeling lazy, someone will come up in a 4-wheel drive vehicle and take you down; however, I recommend that you walk this scenic route. The prices vary according to season and room type so call ahead before booking; we paid LKR 8000 for 2 adults, 2 meals (dinner and breakfast) and one night stay.

This little monster was stretched across our trail!
There are hiking trails everywhere branching off this dirt track going into the forest. If you aren’t an experienced hiker, please follow the staff’s directions and DON’T go exploring on your own. It’s easy to get lost and mobile signal is abysmal. Also, look out for leeches as this is their hunting ground. By the time I got to the bottom I had two suckers on my ankle and another at the back of my knee. Note to myself: use soap water or lime next time.

In true Ginigathhena fashion, it rained – no, poured – halfway down the mountain. My boyfriend and I ran for it (we forgot raincoats). The trails got slicker by the minute and both of us went sprawling once or twice. By the time we got to the lodge, we were soaked to the bone, dripping leeches and had sworn off spontaneous hikes for a while.

Even if you stay close to the resort, there is plenty to see: a mini waterfall, a bathing spot in the Kelani River and various trails. Unfortunately we only stayed the night so we couldn’t explore much. We left the next day on a normal Hatton-Colombo bus (which was crowded) & transferred to an Avissawella-Colombo Fort 122 bus (which was not crowded) in Avissawella. We got back to Colombo around 3pm, having left Aberdeen Falls Resort around 10.30am.

And the punch line? After all that, we had a late lunch at Pizza Hut, Kirulapone :P

Note: Ginigathhena has one of the highest annual rainfalls in the country. Take raincoats and remedies for leech bites.



(Approx.) Total Time Taken   : 2 days
 (Approx.) Total Cost            : > LKR 9,500 (not counting the pizza!)
Satisfaction                         : 3.5/5
 *All pictures are subject to copyright © Asuka Randeniye 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment